Graduate or Undergraduate Student Job Work-Study
Global Urban Humanities Initiative
8-12 hours/week, $15 per hour
Exciting opportunity to expand the web, social media, and campus presence of an interdisciplinary program. The Global Urban Humanities Initiative (GUH) is seeking a creative and experienced graphic designer and social media coordinator who can also assist on assignments related to basic program administration and event planning. This position is 8-12 hours per week starting June 26, 2017 with the opportunity for work continuing through May 2018. Work location is Wurster Hall, with some flexibility for off-site work and hours.
The web/communication coordinator’s responsibilities will include:
● Graphic design: creates posters, postcards, fliers, signs, and other collateral.
● Blog writing. Assists with routine updates to the GUH website.
● Web design & development: occasionally creates from templates new independent web sites for small projects.
● Social media management: updates and manages GUH’s accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms.
● Online newsletter design, writing and distribution.
● Email list management & contact management.
● Establishing photo library.
● Designing template of annual report.
● Help with event outreach including registration setup and catering orders.
● Other administrative tasks, such as reimbursement processing (BearBuys) and minor accounting tasks, as needed.
Skills & Experience:
● Excellent writing skills, ideally with experience writing for web and newsletters.
● Web management using content management system such as Expression Engine or Wordpress.
● Basic knowledge of HTML.
● Good graphic design sense and skills, knowledge of photo management.
● Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator).
● Experience managing external communication using email lists such as MailChimp, Constant Contact, Vertical Response, or similar software suites.
● Basic audio and video editing skills desired.
● Detail-oriented with good proofreading habits and problem-solving skills.
● Takes initiative to improve outreach and has good follow-through.
● Interest in cities, urban studies, humanities, new media helpful.
The Global Urban Humanities Initiative is a joint venture of the UC Berkeley Arts & Humanities Division of the College of Letters & Science, and the College of Environmental Design.
To apply for this position, explore our website at globalurbanhumanities.berkeley.edu and Send cover letter, resume/CV and PDFs or URLs of writing, graphic, and web design/management work to Tina Novero at email@example.com. If possible, writing samples should include 100-300 word newsletter-type blurbs and articles, professional writing (e.g. reports) (not fiction or academic papers). PLEASE PUT “WEB COORDINATOR” IN THE EMAIL SUBJECT LINE. All attachment file names should start with your last name.